Monday, September 11, 2006

Are my fears ungrounded?

I've watched parts of this week's two-night ABC series on 9/11. Despite debates that will no doubt and uselessly occur about the historical accuracy of some parts of the series, it serves as a stark and painful reminder of those terrible events of September 11, 2001. I found watching it to be an emotional experience, those emotions mostly switching back and forth from sadness and loss to extreme anger and apprehension.

The sadness and loss is of course easy for almost anyone to understand. The extreme anger should come as no surprise either. The apprehension might be something one looking in from a distance might misinterpret.

No, I am not concerned about another such attack. One will or will not occur regardless of my thoughts about that. Also I will not let the subhuman slime who plan and conduct such strikes rule my life.

No, what concerns me, what I am apprehensive about is a waning of fear and concern I see in friends and acquaintances. Popular press, short attention spans, pack mentality, lack of comprehensive analysis of the day's events being a given because many just "don't have the time" to keep up with the news, all threaten our country's resolve and our chances for succeeding in what will be a multi-generational war to save our way of life.

I hope my fears are ungrounded. Are they?

No comments: